This story even went so far as to look into the lives of two talented, yet destructive musicians. Two people who succeeded in the music world and truly felt what they were making. In all the videos I've seen of Kurt Cobain, he seems so in tune with what he's singing. He doesn't care about the things around him or what the people might be saying. He just seemed to devote his life to his music, and the short life it was, whether or not you liked his music, definitely made a mark on the music world. Their second icon was Jimi Hendrix. The one that many call the greatest guitar player ever. In the story, they went to where he grew up, in a shack. He is a true 'from rags to riches' story. Jimi Hendrix rose up from supreme poverty to become one of the most beloved artists of all time. It was unfortunate the both turned to drugs and caused so much damage to themselves, but if you overlook that, and simply see their love and talent in music, they truly seem like the perfect role models for a rock band.
Thursday, March 1, 2012
Music
This book is all about music. Five Flavors of Dumb concentrates so much on how important music is in our lives. It shows how music can change and motivate people to do something with their lives. Not only do they go into what the characters feel when they hear music, but even Piper herself, who cannot hear, feels exciting from watching the music and feeling the vibrations. I really loved this book for that reason because I felt like it truly showed how anyone and everyone has the ability to enjoy music. It proved that music can touch us all and it doesn't matter what supposed "handicap" you possess.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love how you interpret the book! Five Flavors of Dumb is such a beautiful book. I love that Piper has a love for music despite her disability. She may no be able to hear all of the music but she can feel the beat. I love that her brother sent her to see different pieces of musical history. It made the book feel more enthusiastic. Piper fell in love with the music because of that. Anyway, I love your blog and how you've been analyzing things! Keep blogging!
ReplyDeleteHi, I'm Amy Maniola from Fremd High School! I've never read Five Flavors of Dumb, but it sounds like a really interesting book! Music is really important to me, so that's the main reason the book appeals to me. The stories about people emotionally connecting to music really inspire me, like Piper loving music despite her inability to hear and people overcoming struggles to become musicians. People like these are the ones I want to hear and read about and the people I'd consider my music role models. I'm looking forward to reading the book. Great blog!
ReplyDeleteHi, I'm Melissa Chyan from Fremd High School. This sounds like a great book. I'm an aspiring musician and music is a big part of my life (writing is the other half). Music is definitely a universal communication. I am unable to understand the words of some of my favorite songs, but I can feel the emotion in them. I hope I can find time to read this book.
ReplyDelete