Bayside is a punk rock band, which already screams adolescent rebellion. Of course, there was much more to Helmuth than just being a teenage wanting to rebel. Helmuth was courageous and dared to fight against what he knew was wrong. This song has the feel of a good mix between their original punk style and the sense of standing up for yourself. I'm not sure how to categorize that mood, but it all sounds like there's going to be a build up of something. It's as if something's coming and they're singing of hope and standing up for what needs to be done.
Oddly enough, the title has war in it, although I'm not trying to suggest that World War II was either little or "not bad." "I had a place to live in/I had a job worth quitting/I had some things I had to chase/Mistakes but we all make them/We celebrate being young/I had the chance to run away" The song starts out with these words, and while this is not the beginning of the book, it does show when he starts working. Helmuth could've done well in Nazi life. He was smart, had connections through his stepdad, and could've been very "useful" to the Nazis. He got himself a simple job and could've stayed out of trouble and lived his youth without worrying about anything. "That we are, our only chance in the world/If faith should fail us then hope will see us through/And we are, our only chance in the world/So stand for something cuz somethings overdue/And I don't ask for much, but this could define a lifetime/A dead man's hand we aren't the only friends we ever had" That's the chorus, which I feel like perfectly describes how Helmuth feels when he decides to go against the Nazi party. He tells his friends that he doesn't want to have gone through life not standing up what he believed in. He believes that they could make a difference, and at least feels the need to try.
Hi mayna! Wow, your blog is very dark. Try some color! It would spice things up! I agree, I wasn't too upset or too terribly happy with my blog grade last quarter. It could have been better but I wasn't as focused as I should have been. Ah! My sister read The Boy Who Dared. She said it was pretty good. I hope you enjoy it. I always enjoyed Holacaust units in English class. They were my favorite books to read because of the emotion that was displayed. The Diary of Anne Frank is my favorite book of all time. I can read it over and over again and it never really gets old. A book has to have some kind of depth to it and books like that generally do. I'm sure The Boy Who Dared will be fantastic! i'm really glad we get to choose from a list of books. It's easier to read the book and blog when it isn't forced upon you. Anyway, I really love your blog so far! Keep bloggin' :)
ReplyDelete